Careers at Cowans
Criminal defence department positions:
Our criminal department is looking to expand our existing friendly and hard-working team. We are looking for individuals to support both our Dorking and Ash Vale offices in sharing our large volume of own client case work. Therefore, whilst an individual who has the ability to obtain duty slots in their own right would be advantageous, this is not a requirement of the role.
The role would likely suit a solicitor, but applications from paralegals with at least 18 months previous experience in criminal defence case-work are also welcome. Primarily, the role would be attractive to a newly qualified solicitor, who is looking for a Firm to support them in attaining duty solicitor status, or a duty solicitor seeking a new challenge at a different firm.
Out of hours work always available, and paid accordingly, but candidates would not be obliged to take this up.
The role would require you to be:
- Able to deliver excellent client care
- Computer/IT literate
- Willing to cover both Surrey and Hampshire matters, although preferences will be considered
- Able to man out of hours phones on a rota’d basis
If you are applying for the position as a paralegal, the following requirements also need to be met:
- Previous Criminal Defence case work experience of at least 18 months
- Proven ability to run both Magistrates and Crown Court cases independently
- Excellent knowledge of the law
- Ability to prioritise work appropriately
- Experience of applying for Legal Aid and obtaining Prior Authority
Start date: immediately (or as soon as possible)
Contract: fixed term or permanent contracts will be considered
Hours: full-time preferred, but part time also considered
Salary: market rate
Holiday: 25 days (plus bank holidays), rising to 26 days after one year, and at regular intervals thereafter, up to 30 days.
If you are interested, please send your CV and covering letter to Shelley Dell (email@example.com), or get in touch with Shelley if you have questions before applying
Not found what you are looking for?
We are always pleased to receive applications from individuals interested in becoming part of our team. Please send your CV & covering letter to David Cowan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
No agencies please.